What is Celiac Disease?
Celiac disease is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food.
- Affects 1% of the population (as much as 1/3 of the nation may be Gluten sensitive)
- Primarily affects the gastrointestinal tract
- Can affect the skin Dermatitis Hepetiformis (DH)
- If untreated-associated with development of other diseases such as: Diabetes, hypothyroidism (Thyroid), cancers, and heart disease.
- Diagnosed through basic blood test and biopsy of the small intestine
- Only treatment is gluten-free diet for life